Internet is something new in Cuba, it only exists for 2.5 years now. To go online you first have to login using a scratch card from ETECSA. These cards are 1 CUC each and give you 1 hour of wifi time. When using less, make sure to logout.
Where to buy ETECSA cards?
Officially you can buy these at the ETECSA store, but I actually bought them anywhere else but these stores and saved myself the long qeue.
In Havana the reception of Hotel Sevilla will sell the scratch cards for 2 CUC each. In the lobby of this hotel is also a wifi hotspot, the perfect place to comfortably sit down and surf the web. I bought 10 cards here to last me a while.
Here is a list with locations of the ETECSA store:
- Havana: Zanja – Aguila
- Vinales: next to Viazul and the post office
- Cienfuegos: Calle 43 – Santa Cruz, D’Clouet – San Fernanco
- Trinidad: Parque Cespedes
- Varadero: Mall at Parque de las 8000 Taquilas
Where are the wifi hotspots?
Some casa particulares will have their very own wifi hotspot. But the most common places to go online are the majore squares in the city, below a list of the hotspots.
- Habana Viejas: Plaza Cristo, Parque Cuatro Caminos, Hotel Sevilla.
- Centro Habana: Parque Fe del Valle, Malecon outside Hotel Deauville, Malecon outside restaurant Castro Poll, Boulevar San Rafael.
- Vinales: Cafeteria Las Cubanitas, El Palenque, Bar de Tapas, Restaurante Las Brisas.
- Cienfuegos: Parque Marti, Parque Villuendas, La Bolera, Terminal de Omnibus, Libreria Prado San Fernanco.
- Trinidad: Parque Cespedes, Casa de la Musica
- Varadero: Mall at Parque de las 8000 taquillas